Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Leaving Hungary and Being Home!

So it's been a week since I left Hungary... I can't believe how fast that's gone by!

I left my host family's house at about 3 in the morning and then we picked up Jill. Sadly my host family couldn't take me to the airport, so one of the Rotarians did. We got to the airport, checked my bags, then Jill and I had to say a rather quick goodbye. We both cried and hugged it out and it really hit me that I was leaving Hungary. When I got to my gate, I didn't have much time until we would start boarding. I cried a little bit in line to board, then when we started walking onto the plane, I started sobbing. The flight attendants asked if I was okay and helped me find my seat. I ended up sitting next to a really nice girl from Africa who studiets at the university in Debrecen and we talked a little bit at the end of the flight, but I lost her once we started getting off. I found my gate in Amsterdam and had to go through security again and passport control and everyone stared at my blazer. Our plane was an hour late leaving Amsterdam (this sounds way too much like the way my flights went on my way over...) and I was pretty worried considering my layover in Seattle was only an hour and 20 minutes long.

The flight from Amsterdam to Seattle was about 9 1/2 hours. There were little tv's on the back of the seats though so I watched The Notebook, Project X, and Happy Feet 2 and listened to Fun. I slept for a little bit, took a few walks around the airplane, and ate a lot. Seriously they kept giving us food! When we finally landed I realized that I had about 20 minutes until my plane left and realistically there was no way I would make it. I went through passport control, got my baggage, went through customs, then talked to someone about the next flight to Fresno. Of course, there wasn't another one until 7 hours later. I walked into the main terminal and started freaking out because of culture shock and cried for a little bit... then called my mom, Alissa, and Annika and cried to them a bit too. Eventually I calmed down, got some food, bought a magazine and some cold medicine because I'm STILL sick from Eurotour, and made myself comfortable near my gate. When we finally boarded I slept the entire way to Fresno. I was so tired from being up for so long and all the traveling. When we landed in Fresno, I was so excited and nervous all at the same time. The long walk down the hallway to the lobby was horrible.. I just wanted to see everyone again! And when I finally got down there, my parents, my grandparents, and some of my friends were waiting for me with American flags, a big poster, and a big bucket full of candy. I was so happy they all came and it was one of the happiest moments of my life!

Since I've been back, I've been keeping busy with hanging out with my friends and driving around. It's just been so nice being home! So far I've had a really easy transitional period... I'm not that sad about Hungary and I am really happy. I think the main reason for that is that in Hungary I only had one friend to hang out with and we didn't really do anything. Now that I'm home, I'm meeting with a bunch of friends and doing a lot of things and it's just good to be in that. I'm sure I'll have a hard time down the road, but for now things are soooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment