Friday, January 14, 2011

Small updates

Szia!

Since my last post, I got in touch with the club that is sponsoring me. I interviewed with a club here in Fresno but they only had one spot, so the Visalia Breakfast Club is sponsoring me :). Visalia is a small town about 45 minutes away from Fresno. While I assumed the "breakfast" part of the name was just decoration... it's not. The club meets at 6:30 in the morning!! So my mom and I drove down the night before and stayed in a hotel (worth it!) and went to the meeting on Thursday morning.

When we got there, we really had no idea what to expect. When we got there not many people were there yet and we felt really out of place. We decided to sit towards the back and wait for Sam, the YEO, to get there. (I just deleted like three paragraphs of unnecessary description about us waiting... hahaha) Anyway, many people came up and introduced themselves to us and I heard many "Oh, are you hungry?!" jokes. When Sam got there he stood up and introduced my mom and I and we stayed for the rest of the meeting.

For anyone who is anticipating attending a Rotary meeting and doesn't know what they're like... the best advice I have for you is to relax :). Dress nicely, don't be afraid to talk to people, and have fun! The meeting itself was way more relaxed than I expected. They made jokes and told stories, and then also did serious club business. Overall, it was REALLY fun and I can't wait to go to more meetings :).

In other news, my application is nearly done. I need my photo page (probably the easiest part of the application.. haha), my mom's letter, and the copies of my transcripts and then I'm done!

Just in case anyone is wondering, I will be going during my senior year so I have to take my senior classes now. This semester I am taking a semester of gov/econ during 6th period and then a semester of english 4 through an online type of class. I have to take the other two semesters during summer school (a total of 8 weeks), along with an art class at the city college (4 weeks) to be eligible to attend a UC/CSU. Quite ridiculous, but it's worth it!

Lastly, just today I learned about 32 new Hungarian words/phrases! I can say/spell them all (the accents are a little confusing) and am really proud of myself. Overall I've learned 66 :). I really REALLY recommend the program Before You Know It. It teaches you vocabulary and basic phrases, which I think will be really helpful at first on exchange (dare I say more helpful than knowing how to correctly conjugate verbs)!

Well.. I wasn't expecting this post to be this long, so I'm ending it now. If anyone has questions on any part of the application process, don't be afraid to ask! Maybe I'll post more if I can figure out how to write less ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment