Monday, September 19, 2011

More things about school...

So today at school I found out that I actually have a schedule now. At first I was really happy about it, and then I realized how horrible of a situation it is. Here's what my day looks like now:

Monday:
Spanish
English
PE
Homeroom type class
Hungarian lessons at the university

Tuesday:
Swimming
Swimming
English
Spanish

Hungarian lessons at the university

Wednesday: 
Swimming
Swimming
English
English
Hungarian lessons at the university

Thursday:
Hungarian lessons at the university
English
English
PE

Friday:
English
English
English
English
Spanish

So, since Jill and I decided it's pointless for us to go to PE or swimming, I basically only have English and Spanish classes. This would be nice, if I wasn't already used to my former schedule and I hadn't already started making friends. Also, once I get a grasp on Hungarian I won't even be able to use it at school, since the only classes I take will be taught in English or Spanish. Not so happy about it anymore, but we'll see how that goes.

I also started noting differences between American schools and Hungarian schools. Some of my observations...
  • When the teacher enters the room, everyone stands up until they tell them they can sit down
  • There appears to be no dress code
  • The teachers only lecture with minimal class participation
  • We don't have a lunch break... just a 20 minute break in the middle of the day
  • There are virtually no teacher/student friendships... everything is very formal
  • There aren't any counselors to help the students... not quite sure who does
  • In the mornings, there aren't any announcements
  • The bell is actually a really nice short piano piece. I kind of love it.
Although Hungarian school is really easy for me since I don't do much, I think I like American schools much better. I miss almost everything about Edison and regret how much I wanted out of there! I'm just glad I finished all of my classes before coming here so I don't have to worry about grades or credits or anything.

Totally not related to school, but I figure I should write about it. Last Friday night, Jill and I had a sleepover at my house! We made chocolate chip cookies and my host family absolutely loved them. Even though Jill and I were both sick, we still had a lot of fun :).

Now I'm going to read or take a nap or watch t.v. online or something. I'm so bored after school... I need a life! 


No comments:

Post a Comment