Thursday, August 18, 2011

The night before departure!

As I'm writing this, I'm about 6 hours away from boarding my first plane. In almost exactly 24 hours, I'll be stepping off the plane and meeting my host family for the first time. Crazy.

The week leading up to tonight has been both good and bad. Good because I saw so many people and did a lot of fun things.. bad because at the end of each day I was saying goodbye to someone new. It's been really hard but I know it's not forever. I'll be able to see everyone when I come home and it'll be as if I never left.

It's really a weird feeling knowing I'm leaving. I look at my suitcases and my chain-link countdown and I know that it's my last night... but it doesn't feel like it. It feels like something big is happening but I just can't believe it's the night before I leave. I know it doesn't make sense, and it probably won't to anyone that's never been in this situation before.

It's hard to believe I'm at this point. I can't even put into words how grateful I am and how much this opportunity means to me. Even just being a part of Rotary has been one of the best experiences of my life. I've learned so much about myself and the world just from these upcoming months preparing, and I can't wait to learn anymore. I would like to thank the Visalia Breakfast Rotary Club for adopting me and Melissa Mears for making any of this possible!

So, I guess my next update will be from Hungary. I've talked to my host family and they're so excited for me to get in. They just bought a new sofa for my room :). I can't wait to meet them and start learning and speaking Hungarian! I know it's going to be a challenge but it's going to be the best challenge ever. I'm so ready for this year and so ready to just get there.

Time to try to sleep for 3 hours and 45 minutes... I'll post again from the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment